There are many reasons why I love to cook. I love the smells and of course, the taste of a home cooked meal. I love the look on my husband’s face when he realizes I have started cooking. I love being able to sit down and finally enjoy the last step in cooking, which is quite obviously, eating! And I love that I know exactly what is in my food!
Don’t get me wrong. I eat out, buy the prepared meals from Whole Foods occasionally and love to indulge in some greasy fried chicken strips from time to time. But for the most part, I cook our meals at home. It is a great way to save money, and when you have an arsenal of quick recipes at your finger tips, it makes cooking a meal at home that much easier! Better food to fuel you and your family!
Let me say something about this chicken. Its all about the herbs baby! I love Herbs de Provence spice mixture. It has a very distinct flavor and makes this dish not only delicious but easy. Herbs de Provence is a mixture of dried thyme, rosemary, basil, parsley, oregano, tarragon, marjoram, and dried lavender flowers. You can’t get much easier than sprinkling salt and spices on chicken and throwing it into the oven. Baked chicken is one of my more frequent meals because I can easily change up the flavors to create something new.
Feel free to use different cuts of chicken. I prefer to use chicken legs because its usually cheaper than chicken breast and a little less fatty than chicken thighs. But any of them would work wonderfully with this recipe! And I love the idea of adding a super simple but delicious side like French green beans sautéed with fresh garlic. If you follow me long enough, you will come to learn that I adore garlic. I put it in most of my savory dishes! If you would like to retain more of the nutrients from the garlic, try adding it after the green beans have cooked in the pan and are ready to serve. This adds a bigger garlic punch to the meal but also helps to retain its antibacterial, antiviral, anti fungal properties. Garlic is your friend! Love it, use it and gain from it!
Baked Herbs de Provence Chicken
1 1/2 pounds chicken legs (about 5 legs)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt (or regular table salt)
2 1/2 teaspoons Herbs de Provence spice mixture
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken legs. Place in a baking dish.
- Drizzle olive oil on chicken and make sure to rub it on all sides of the chicken. This helps the salt and spice stick to the chicken.
- Evenly sprinkle the salt over all sides of the chicken legs. Repeat with the Herbs de Provence.
- Place baking dish in the oven and cook for 40 to 45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees F.
- Let sit for 5 minutes and enjoy with a side of sautéed French green beans.
Garlic French Green Beans
16 ounce bag frozen Organic French Green Beans (Frozen vegetables are wonderful for cutting the cooking time down.)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt (Or regular table salt)
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place large, heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add minced garlic. Sauté until fragrant (20 to 30 seconds).
- Add in frozen green beans, salt and pepper. Stir and cover skillet. Reduce heat. Be sure to stir often.
- Cook for about 8 minutes or until green beans are hot and still retain color and crispness.